Back to Orthotic Basics | KevinRoot Medical

Back to Orthotic Basics

• Many of my baby boomer contemporaries will remember the days when functional foot orthotics consisted solely of plexiglass (Rohardur) shells with acrylic posts. I can recall my podiatrist father trying to make these things in our basement, and he wasn’t any more successful than I was in the orthotic lab in podiatry school. Fortunately, then as now, podiatric labs exist to create professional grade devices, albeit without many of the features and options that exist today. However, there still are a few indications for this type of stripped down and basic orthotic device.

The KevinRoot Medical website is a valuable resource for practitioners to assist in selecting which orthotic type is best suited for achieving best possible outcomes for all their patients. Of course the various models presented are suggestions, and I would encourage the KRM clients to customize the devices to suit each individual case.

Model A3 (Classic Sport). This is the orthotic version of the four door family sedan, not sexy, but will do the job admirably in many situations for a long, long time. It features a polypro shell, vinyl top cover and EVA rearfoot post. If you need a “do it all” device, this would be a great choice.

Model L1 (Fashion) and L3 (Ultra Slim). Much like the classic sport there are options when needing biomechanical control within a low volume shoe. The L1 is a polypro shell with a shallow heel cup and small rearfoot EVA post. Works well in slip on shoes and with a suede top cover can be used with nylon stockings or no socks at all. The ultra slim is made with carbon fiber, narrow profile, shallow heel cup with intrinsic rearfoot posting, a great choice for use with a low heel pump ballet flat or Italian style loafer.

Model A12 (Unit) and S12 (Water). These two models are both all polypro devices including the rearfoot posts, therefore they offer maximum motion control while utilizing minimum space. The A12 has a top cover and the S12 doesn't. These models can be used for very heavy patients, or for those patients who tear through padded materials quickly, or need something easily cleaned and deodorized. A simple trick is to use these models underneath separate insoles when a full length device might be otherwise indicated. Should you have a patient who wants an old Rohadur device replaced with a duplicate (they still are out there!) the S12 is as close a facsimile as you can find.

This is only a partial list of available devices, and once again I would encourage you to spend some time on the KRM website to familiarize yourself with all your orthotic device options. Biomechanical control should be the goal despite whatever lifestyle challenges are presented to you.

• I really enjoy your excellent posts.

One very minor correction on your last post. I am older than you, so I go back further. During my fellowship, I met a podiatrist who told me that they tried plexiglass which was used in fighter planes in WWII as it was "bulletproof".  He told me it cracked, so they went to the German plastic Rohadur (which is another acrylic plastic, so it is easily confused). The initial Rohadur was yellow and required less heat than the subsequent red Rohadur. I have seen Rohadur crack and I have seen Steel orthoses crack. In those situations it is related to equinus.